Sunday, October 24, 2010

Bookies contacted me to select a player: Zia

Bookies contacted me to select a player: Zia KARACHI: During his time at the helm of Pakistan cricket Tauqir Zia was approached by a front man of bookies to select a player who allegedly rigged games, Geo News reported Sunday.

Former Pakistan Cricket Board chairman Tauqir Zia made these claims in an interview with an Australian radio channel.

"I was a serving army officer and there's a gentleman who rings me up and said "so and so should be included in the team because he fixes matches and we get money.

"So I said you are threatening a man in uniform...you go to hell and that man is not going to be put in the team. And he never was included in the side."

Zia said the PCB was told before the team played against Australia and England in England in July and August that the International Cricket Council had noticed irregularities in the SMS accounts of six or seven players.

No comments:

Post a Comment